Welcome to the Virginia Diabetes Council Website. We hope you will find this website to be user friendly and a useful tool for the latest in Diabetes information and education in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Our Vision: "To Improve the Lives of Virginians Affected by Diabetes"
Our Mission: "To bring partners together to identify and promote best practices for diabetes prevention,control and treatment in Virginia"
The AADE has published a White Paper on "Recommendations for Community Based Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes Screening". OPEN HERE
The Virginia Diabetes Council offers our condolences to the Rapp Family of the Tidewater area on the passing of "Bobby" Rapp and would like to thank them for remembering the VDC in their memorial.
Camps for Children with Diabetes
Diabetes camp helps children learn self-confidence, self-management skills, self-control, and that there are other children like them who have diabetes and similar challenges everyday. Participants also learn that all can have a great time. Camps for children with diabetes in and around Virginia include:
- Camp Holiday Trails, http://www.campholidaytrails.org/ a camp for children with special health needs including diabetes, is located in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Camp Jordan, http://www.makwoods.org/camp-jordan---diabetes-camp.html hosted by Makemie Woods in Barhamsville VA (near Williamsburg VA), is for children with diabetes.
- Camp Take Charge http://www.brainycamps.com/camps/camp-take-charge/ offers a week long overnight camp for campers ages 10-17 as well as a three-day family camp for younger campers. Part of Brainy Camps is associated with the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC.
- Camp Too Sweet https://www.carilionclinic.org/diabetes-endocrinology/camp-too-sweet offers camp for children with diabetes near Roanoke, Virginia
- Lions Camp Merrick / Glyndon Diabetes Program http://lionscampmerrick.org/ in Maryland provides a camping experience not only for children with diabetes, but for their families as well. Children from the District of Columbia, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia may also attend.
- Lions District 24D Family Diabetes Camp Program http://lions-of-virginia-24d.org/Diabetes_Camp.html offers camp for families in Chesapeake, Virginia
Virginia School Nurses: 2015-2016 School Year
The forms are under review but wil remain the same for the 2015-2016 School Year. Please make appropriate date changes.School Nurse's Forms