Welcome to the Virginia Diabetes Council Website. We hope you will find this website to be user friendly and a useful tool for the latest in Diabetes information and education in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Our Vision: "To Improve the Lives of Virginians Affected by Diabetes"
Our Mission: "To bring partners together to identify and promote best practices for diabetes prevention,control and treatment in Virginia"
If you wish to join the Virginia Diabetes Council, please send your e-mail request to email@example.com
Camps for Children with Diabetes
Diabetes camp helps children learn self-confidence, self-management skills, self-control, and that there are other children like them who have diabetes and similar challenges everyday. Participants also learn that all can have a great time. Camps for children with diabetes in and around Virginia include:
- Camp Holiday Trails, http://www.campholidaytrails.org/ a camp for children with special health needs including diabetes, is located in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- Camp Jordan, http://www.makwoods.org/camp-jordan---diabetes-camp.html hosted by Makemie Woods in Barhamsville VA (near Williamsburg VA), is for children with diabetes.
- Camp Take Charge http://www.brainycamps.com/camps/camp-take-charge/ offers a week long overnight camp for campers ages 10-17 as well as a three-day family camp for younger campers. Part of Brainy Camps is associated with the Children's National Medical Center in Washington, DC.
- Camp Too Sweet https://www.carilionclinic.org/diabetes-endocrinology/camp-too-sweet offers camp for children with diabetes near Roanoke, Virginia
- Lions Camp Merrick / Glyndon Diabetes Program http://lionscampmerrick.org/ in Maryland provides a camping experience not only for children with diabetes, but for their families as well. Children from the District of Columbia, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia may also attend.
- Lions District 24D Family Diabetes Camp Program http://lions-of-virginia-24d.org/Diabetes_Camp.html offers camp for families in Chesapeake, Virginia
Virginia School Nurses: 2015-2016 School Year